You've bought the beautiful notebook. You wrote three pages on day one, half a page on day two, and then it sat on the shelf. Sound familiar? Most people don't struggle to start journaling. They struggle to keep going.
This guide shows you how to start in a way that's small enough to stick: what to write, when, how long, and exactly what to do on the days you'd rather not.
Why bother journaling at all?
Writing things down gets them out of your head and in front of you, where they're easier to look at calmly. Psychologist James Pennebaker's research on "expressive writing", starting in the 1980s, suggests that writing about thoughts and feelings for short periods can help some people process difficult experiences. Many people also simply find it clears their head and helps them notice patterns.
You don't need to be a good writer. A journal is not for anyone else to read.
Step 1: Choose your tools (in two minutes)
Don't overthink this. Pick whichever you'll actually use:
- Paper notebook: slower, fewer distractions, many people find it more reflective.
- Notes app: always with you and easy to search.
- Printable pages: helpful if a blank page freezes you, because the structure is already there.
A cheap notebook is often better than an expensive one. You'll feel freer to write messy, honest things in it.
Step 2: Make it tiny
The biggest mistake is starting too big. Aim for five minutes or three sentences, whichever comes first. If you want to keep going, great. But the minimum is what you commit to.
This works because a small target is hard to talk yourself out of. On a tired evening, "three sentences" feels doable; "a full page" doesn't.
Step 3: Anchor it to something you already do
Link journaling to an existing habit, so the old habit reminds you of the new one. For example:
- "After I pour my morning coffee, I write three sentences."
- "After I get into bed, before I pick up my phone, I journal for five minutes."
- "After I sit down on the train, I open my notes app and write."
Keep the notebook and pen exactly where that moment happens: next to the kettle, on your pillow, in your bag.
Step 4: Use a simple structure
A blank page is where most people stall. Use this three-line template until you find your own rhythm:
- Right now I feel… (one word or one sentence)
- The thing on my mind is… (write whatever comes)
- One thing I'll do today / tomorrow is… (small and specific)
That's it. Some days line 2 will run to a page. Other days it's a single sentence. Both count.
Step 5: Rotate a few journaling styles
If the template starts to feel stale, try a different style for a week:
- Brain dump: write everything in your head without stopping for five minutes.
- Gratitude: three specific things that went well and why.
- Prompt journaling: answer one question, such as "What am I avoiding?"
- One-line-a-day: a single sentence about the day. Brilliant for busy weeks.
- Reading notes: copy a line from a book and write why it struck you. It pairs well with the Reading Habit Prime Protocol.
Try this today
Tonight, before you pick up your phone in bed, write the three-line template. Set a 5-minute timer. When it goes off, stop, even mid-sentence. Stopping while it still feels easy makes tomorrow easier to start.
Step 6: Plan for the days you miss
You will miss days. Everyone does. What matters is what happens next. Use a simple rule: never miss twice in a row. If you skipped yesterday, today's entry can be a single line: "Missed yesterday, back today."
Don't try to "catch up" on missed days. It turns journaling into homework. Just start from today.
Step 7: Read it back once a week
This is the step most people skip, and it's where journaling becomes genuinely useful. Every Sunday, spend five minutes reading the week's entries. Ask:
- What kept coming up?
- What went better than I expected?
- What would I like to do differently next week?
Noticing that you've written about the same worry four times is valuable information. So is noticing how often a small good moment appears. Marking those moments is part of the Celebrate Progress Prime Protocol.
Common worries about journaling
"What if someone reads it?" Keep it somewhere private, use a password-protected app, or tear up pages you don't want to keep. Writing it is what helps; keeping it is optional.
"I don't have anything interesting to say." Journaling isn't about being interesting. "Tired, rainy, eggs for lunch, annoyed about the meeting" is a perfectly good entry.
"I'm not sure I'm doing it right." If you're writing and it's honest, you're doing it right.
"It makes me dwell on bad things." Try ending each entry with one thing you can do or one thing that went okay. If journaling regularly leaves you feeling worse, take a break and try a lighter style, such as gratitude or one-line-a-day.
PRIME AFFIRMATIONS · READ THEM ALOUD
I show up for myself, one page at a time.
Small entries still count.
I write honestly and without judgement.
Start today
Choose your tool, choose your anchor moment and write three sentences using the template. Tomorrow, do it again. Aim for a week of tiny entries before you think about making it longer.
If starting is the hard part for you, the 5-Minute Start Method is designed for exactly that. If you'd like a guided daily page to keep you going for a month, try the 30-day workbook.
The 5-Minute Start Method (free toolkit)
A free printable toolkit to get started on anything in five minutes, even when you don't feel like it.
The 30-Day Consistency Prime Protocol Workbook
A daily page with Prime Affirmations, one small action and a tracker to help you show up every day for 30 days.
PRINTABLE BUNDLE
The Mind Reset Bundle
28 printable pages to stop overthinking, calm stress and journal: Brain Dump, Worry Time Planner, Thought Check, Calm-Down Toolkit, Mood & Sleep Tracker and 90 journal prompts.
Get it for £12 → · See what's inside
Or get all three bundles in The Life Reset Mega Bundle and save over 25%.
Keep going with More-Self