Tuesday, September 29, 2026

How to Stop Overthinking Things You Can't Control


Will the test results be okay? Is my partner annoyed with me? What if the company restructures? Some of the most exhausting overthinking is about things that are simply out of your hands.

You can't think your way into controlling them, but you can change how much of your day they take up. This guide gives you a simple tool for sorting what you can and can't control, a script for letting go, and a way to put your energy back where it counts.

Why we overthink the uncontrollable

When something important is uncertain, your brain tries to help by running scenarios. It feels productive, like you're preparing. But if there's no action available, the scenarios just repeat. You end up living through the bad outcome several times before it has even happened (and it often never does).

This isn't a new problem. Around 2,000 years ago, the Stoic philosopher Epictetus taught that some things are "up to us" and some are not, and that a lot of distress comes from confusing the two. Modern approaches such as CBT and acceptance-based therapies build on a similar idea.

Step 1: Draw the three circles

Take a sheet of paper and draw three circles, one inside the other.

  1. Inner circle: I control. My actions, words, effort, preparation, how I respond.
  2. Middle circle: I influence. Things I can affect but not decide: how others see me, a team's decision, a friend's choices.
  3. Outer circle: I can't control. The weather, the economy, other people's feelings, the past, test results already taken.

Now take the worry that's bothering you and break it into pieces. Place each piece in a circle. For example, worrying about a job interview might look like this:

  • Control: researching the company, practising answers, what I wear, getting there early.
  • Influence: the interviewer's first impression of me.
  • Can't control: the other candidates, the budget, the final decision.

Seeing it laid out usually shows you two things: there's more in your inner circle than you thought, and a lot of your worrying has been aimed at the outer one.

Try this today

Take one worry that's been looping this week and do the three circles on paper. Then pick one thing from the inner circle and do it within the next 24 hours.

Step 2: Act on the inner circle

Action is one of the strongest antidotes to helpless worry. For each item in your inner circle, write one concrete step with a time: "Practise three answers out loud, Tuesday 7pm." Once you've done what's yours to do, you have a genuine reason to let the rest go.

Step 3: Do one thing for the middle circle, then stop

For things you can influence, decide on one reasonable move. Ask for feedback. Say how you feel, once, clearly. Send the follow-up email. Then deliberately leave it. Repeatedly checking, re-sending or re-explaining usually doesn't improve the outcome; it just keeps the loop alive.

Step 4: Practise letting go of the outer circle

Letting go is a skill, not a switch. It helps to have words ready. When an outer-circle thought comes up, try this short script:

  1. "This is outside my control."
  2. "I've done what's mine to do." (Or: "Here's the one thing I can do, and I'll do it at 5pm.")
  3. "I'm allowed to feel uneasy and still carry on with my day."

Notice the last line. Letting go doesn't mean you'll feel fine straight away. It means you stop feeding the thought with more analysis, even if some discomfort hangs around for a while. Most of the time it fades on its own when it isn't being fed.

Step 5: Plan for the worst case, once

Sometimes a "what if" won't leave until it gets an answer. Rather than circling it forever, face it on paper one time:

  • What's the realistic worst case?
  • If it happened, what would I do first? Who could I ask for help?
  • Have I got through something similar before?

Write your answers, then put the paper away. You now have a plan. When the thought returns, you can tell yourself: "I've already worked out what I'd do." This is very different from rehearsing the disaster over and over without a plan.

Step 6: Redirect your attention to now

Outer-circle worries are almost always about the future or the past. Bring yourself back to the present with something physical: a walk, cooking, a short workout or a conversation with someone you like. You're not running away from the problem; you're giving your attention to the part of life you're actually living.

The Inner Strength Prime Protocol is designed to build this kind of steadiness, so uncertainty knocks you off balance less often.

PRIME AFFIRMATIONS · READ THEM ALOUD

I focus on what is mine to do.
I release what I cannot control.
I am steady, even when life is uncertain.

A note on news and social media

A lot of uncontrollable worry arrives through screens: world events, other people's lives, constant updates. Staying informed is reasonable, but checking repeatedly rarely changes anything except your stress levels. Try reading the news once a day at a set time rather than dipping in and out.

Start today

Pick the worry that's taking up the most room right now. Draw the three circles, do one inner-circle action, and use the letting-go script each time the outer-circle thoughts return. For a calmer daily baseline, try the Calm Mind Prime Protocol.

The 5-Minute Start Method (free toolkit)

A free printable toolkit to get started on anything in five minutes, even when you don't feel like it.

Take a look →

The 30-Day Consistency Prime Protocol Workbook

A daily page with Prime Affirmations, one small action and a tracker to help you show up every day for 30 days.

Take a look →

If overthinking, worry or low mood is affecting your sleep, work or relationships, talk to your GP or a qualified professional. This article is general self-development, not medical advice.

PRINTABLE BUNDLE

The Mind Reset Bundle

28 printable pages to stop overthinking, calm stress and journal: Brain Dump, Worry Time Planner, Thought Check, Calm-Down Toolkit, Mood & Sleep Tracker and 90 journal prompts.

Get it for £12 →  ·  See what's inside

Or get all three bundles in The Life Reset Mega Bundle and save over 25%.

Keep going with More-Self