What if I lose my job? What if the money runs out? What if something happens to someone I love? What if I make the wrong choice? Worry about the future can fill every quiet moment, and it rarely arrives with answers, just more questions.
You can't control what will happen. But you can change how much space worry takes up in your day. This article explains why the mind gets stuck on the future and gives you a practical method to sort useful worries from unhelpful ones, plus simple ways to come back to now.
Why your mind keeps going to "what if"
Worry is your brain trying to protect you. It scans ahead for danger so you can prepare. The trouble is that it doesn't know when to stop. It keeps running scenarios long after there is anything useful to do, and it often treats unlikely outcomes as if they were certain.
Many people also believe, deep down, that worrying is helpful: that it keeps them prepared or stops bad things happening. Noticing that belief is the first step. Worrying and planning feel similar, but only one of them moves you forward.
Step 1: Get the worries out of your head
Take a sheet of paper and write down every future worry you have, big and small. Don't organise them yet. Just empty your head. Seeing them on paper often makes them feel more finite and less overwhelming. Psychologist James Pennebaker's research over many years suggests that writing about difficult thoughts and feelings can help people process them.
Step 2: Sort them into two columns
Go through your list and ask of each worry: "Is there anything I can do about this in the next week?"
- Column A: Actionable. "I'm worried about money" becomes something you can act on: check your bank balance, make a simple budget, look at one bill.
- Column B: Not in my control right now. "What if I get ill one day?" or "What if the economy crashes?" There's no clear action to take today.
This one question is the heart of the method. It separates problems you can solve from worries you can only keep chewing on.
Step 3: Turn Column A into tiny next steps
For each actionable worry, write one small, specific next step and when you'll do it. Not "sort out my career" but "Thursday lunchtime: update the first section of my CV." Action is the best medicine for this kind of worry, because it gives your mind proof that you're dealing with it.
Step 4: Give Column B a "worry appointment"
For worries you can't act on, try a technique often called "worry time" or worry postponement. Researchers including Thomas Borkovec began studying it in the 1980s, and it's still widely used.
- Choose a 15-minute slot each day, ideally not close to bedtime (for example, 5.30pm).
- During the rest of the day, when a worry pops up, jot it down and tell yourself: "Not now. I'll think about this at 5.30."
- At your worry time, look at your list and let yourself think about it properly. You'll often find some worries have already faded.
- When the 15 minutes are up, stop and do something else.
It sounds odd, but it teaches your mind that worry has a time and place, instead of being allowed to take over the whole day.
Try this today: the 'What would I tell a friend?' question
Pick your biggest worry about the future. Imagine a good friend came to you with exactly that worry. Write down what you'd say to them, kindly and realistically. Then read it back to yourself. We're often far wiser and gentler with other people than with ourselves.
Step 5: Question the "worst case"
Worry often jumps straight to the most frightening outcome. Try walking through it more calmly with three questions:
- What is most likely to happen? Not the worst or the best, the most realistic.
- If the worst did happen, how would I cope? List who you'd call, what you'd do first and what you've survived before.
- Will this matter in five years? Some things will. Many won't.
The aim isn't to pretend everything will be fine. It's to remind yourself that you would find a way through, even if things were hard.
Step 6: Practise coming back to now
Worry lives in the future. Your life happens in the present. A few simple ways to come back:
- Notice your feet on the floor and three things you can hear. Ten seconds is enough to interrupt a spiral.
- Do something with your hands: cooking, gardening, drawing, tidying a drawer. Absorbing tasks leave less room for "what if".
- Say "right now" sentences: "Right now, I am sitting in my kitchen. Right now, I am safe. Right now, I'm drinking tea."
The Calm Mind Prime Protocol is built around this kind of daily present-moment practice.
Step 7: Build trust in your future self
Much of future worry comes from doubting you'll be able to cope. One of the best antidotes is remembering times you already have. Write down three hard things you've got through in the past and what helped. Your future self will have those same strengths, plus everything you learn between now and then. The Resilience Prime Protocol is designed to strengthen exactly this sense of "I can handle it."
PRIME AFFIRMATIONS · READ THEM ALOUD
I deal with today, and tomorrow I will deal with tomorrow.
I have coped before and I can cope again.
I let go of what I cannot control.
Start today
Do the two-column exercise now, it takes ten minutes. Choose one small action from Column A to do this week, and set a 15-minute worry appointment for tomorrow. Keep it going for a week and notice whether worry takes up a little less of your day.
The 30-Day Consistency Prime Protocol Workbook
A daily page with Prime Affirmations, one small action and a tracker to help you show up every day for 30 days.
The Focus Reset Kit (free)
Printable tools to win back your attention: attention audit, phone rules, focus sprint planner and a 7-day tracker.
If worry is constant, hard to control or affecting your sleep, work or relationships, talk to your GP or a qualified professional. If you are in crisis or feel unable to keep yourself safe, contact your local emergency services or a crisis line straight away. This article is general self-development, not medical advice.
PRINTABLE BUNDLE
The Mind Reset Bundle
28 printable pages to stop overthinking, calm stress and journal: Brain Dump, Worry Time Planner, Thought Check, Calm-Down Toolkit, Mood & Sleep Tracker and 90 journal prompts.
Get it for £12 → · See what's inside
Or get all three bundles in The Life Reset Mega Bundle and save over 25%.
Keep going with More-Self