Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Journal Prompts for Overthinking and Anxious Thoughts

Journal Prompts for Overthinking and Anxious Thoughts


Your mind replays the same conversation, runs through every "what if", and won't let a worry go, even though thinking about it hasn't solved anything. Overthinking feels productive, but mostly it's tiring.

Writing can help, because a thought on paper is easier to question than a thought looping in your head. Below are four simple journaling methods and 25 prompts to help you untangle anxious thoughts and get back to what you can actually do.

Why writing helps with overthinking

When worries stay in your head, they tend to blur together and feel bigger. Writing them down forces you to slow down and put them into words, one at a time. Research on expressive writing, pioneered by James Pennebaker, suggests that putting thoughts and feelings into words can help some people feel less weighed down by them.

Journaling won't make anxious thoughts disappear, and it isn't a treatment for anxiety. But it can give you a little distance, and that distance is often enough to think more clearly.

Method 1: The brain dump (5 minutes)

Set a timer and write every thought, worry and to-do in your head, without order or judgement. When the timer ends, draw a line underneath. Seeing it all in one place often makes it feel more manageable than it did inside your head.

Method 2: Worry time (15 minutes, once a day)

Choose a set time each day, say 6pm, as your "worry slot". When a worry shows up at other times, jot one line in your notes and tell yourself, "I'll deal with that at six." At worry time, go through the list. You may find some have already faded. Avoid scheduling it close to bedtime.

Method 3: Control sort

Divide a page into two columns: "I can influence this" and "I can't control this". Put each worry in a column. For the first column, write one small action. For the second, write: "I'm letting this one go for now."

Method 4: Thought check

Write the anxious thought exactly as it sounds in your head. Then answer: What's the evidence for it? What's the evidence against? What would I say to a friend thinking this? What's a more balanced way of seeing it?

Try this today

Do a 5-minute brain dump, then use the control sort on the three worries that feel loudest. Pick one “I can influence this” item and do the first tiny step within the next hour.

25 journal prompts for overthinking and anxious thoughts

Getting it out of your head

  1. What is on my mind right now? List everything, big and small.
  2. Which thought keeps coming back today? Write it out in full.
  3. If this worry had a volume dial from 1 to 10, where is it? What would move it down one notch?
  4. What am I trying to figure out that I can't figure out right now?
  5. What does my body feel like when I'm overthinking? Where do I notice it?

Questioning the thought

  1. What is the story I'm telling myself about this situation? What are the actual facts?
  2. What is the worst that could realistically happen? How would I cope if it did?
  3. What is the most likely outcome?
  4. Have I been in a similar situation before? How did it turn out?
  5. Am I trying to read someone's mind? What else might they be thinking?
  6. Will this matter in a week? A month? A year?

Finding what you can do

  1. What part of this is within my control?
  2. What is one small step I can take in the next 24 hours?
  3. What information am I missing, and how could I get it?
  4. Is there a decision I'm avoiding? What would "good enough" look like?
  5. Who could I talk to about this?
  6. If I let go of trying to get this perfect, what would I do?

Being kind to yourself

  1. What would I say to a close friend who was worrying about this?
  2. What do I need right now: rest, reassurance, action or distraction?
  3. What have I handled well recently, even if it felt hard?
  4. What is one thing I'm doing well despite feeling anxious?
  5. Which of my needs have I been ignoring while I've been caught up in my head?

Closing the loop

  1. What can I let go of for today?
  2. What is one thing that went okay today?
  3. What will help me feel a little calmer in the next hour?

A 10-minute evening routine for a busy mind

  1. Brain dump for three minutes.
  2. Circle one thing you'll deal with tomorrow and write when.
  3. Answer prompt 24.
  4. Read the affirmations below aloud, slowly, then close the notebook and put it out of sight.

PRIME AFFIRMATIONS · READ THEM ALOUD

I can notice a thought without following it.
I focus on the next small step.
My mind is allowed to rest.

For a daily practice to quieten mental noise, try the Calm Mind Prime Protocol. If you want to think more clearly when making decisions, the Mental Clarity Prime Protocol is a good next step.

Start today

Pick one method, the brain dump is the easiest, and use it once today. Then choose two or three prompts that fit what you're dealing with and keep them on a sticky note inside your journal for the next time your mind starts racing.

The 5-Minute Start Method (free toolkit)

A free printable toolkit to get started on anything in five minutes, even when you don't feel like it.

Take a look →

Overthinking is common, but if anxious thoughts are persistent, hard to control or affecting your sleep, work or relationships, talk to your GP or a qualified professional. This article is general self-development, not medical advice, and journaling is not a substitute for treatment.

PRINTABLE BUNDLE

The Mind Reset Bundle

28 printable pages to stop overthinking, calm stress and journal: Brain Dump, Worry Time Planner, Thought Check, Calm-Down Toolkit, Mood & Sleep Tracker and 90 journal prompts.

Get it for £12 →  ·  See what's inside

Or get all three bundles in The Life Reset Mega Bundle and save over 25%.

Keep going with More-Self