You've probably set goals before. You wrote them down, felt a burst of motivation, and a few weeks later you couldn't quite remember what they were. That doesn't mean you're bad at goals. It usually means nobody showed you the part that comes after writing them down.
This guide walks you through the whole process in seven steps, from choosing the right goal to checking in on it every week. It takes about an hour to set up, and a few minutes a week to keep going.
Why most goal setting fails
Most people stop at the wish: "get fit", "save more", "be more confident". A wish tells you where you'd like to end up, but not what to do on Tuesday evening.
Psychologists Edwin Locke and Gary Latham spent decades studying goals. Their work suggests that specific, challenging goals tend to lead to better performance than vague "do your best" goals, especially when people get regular feedback on their progress. So the aim is simple: turn the wish into something clear, and then build in a way to see how you're doing.
Step 1: Choose one goal that matters to you
Write down everything you'd like to change in the next few months. Then circle the one that would make the biggest difference to your everyday life. Not the one you think you should pick. The one you actually care about.
One goal done well beats five goals half started. You can add another once the first is running smoothly.
If you're struggling to choose, the Goal Clarity Prime Protocol helps you sort what you really want from what you feel pressured to want.
Step 2: Write down your "why"
Under your goal, finish this sentence three times: "This matters to me because…". Keep going until you hit a reason that feels personal.
For example: "I want to run 5k… because I want more energy… because I want to play with my kids after work without feeling wiped out." That last reason is the one you'll need on a rainy evening.
Step 3: Make it specific and measurable
Rewrite the goal so that a stranger could tell whether you'd done it. Add a number and a date.
- Vague: "Read more."
- Clear: "Read 12 books by 31 December, about one a month."
If you'd like a fuller framework for this, the SMART Goals Prime Protocol walks you through it line by line.
Step 4: Break it into milestones
Big goals feel far away, and far-away things are easy to put off. Split yours into three or four checkpoints you can reach every few weeks.
Saving £1,200 in a year becomes £300 by the end of each quarter. Writing a 40,000-word draft becomes 10,000 words by the end of each month. Each checkpoint is a small finish line you can actually see.
Step 5: Decide your weekly actions
This is where goals turn into real life. Ask: "What will I do each week that, if I keep doing it, makes this goal almost inevitable?"
Then attach each action to a time and place. Psychologist Peter Gollwitzer calls these "implementation intentions": plans in the form "When X happens, I will do Y". Research on them suggests they make people more likely to follow through than simply intending to act.
- "When I get home on Monday and Thursday, I'll change straight into my running kit."
- "On payday, I'll move £100 into my savings account before I spend anything."
- "After breakfast on Saturday, I'll write for 45 minutes."
Try this today
Write one “When… I will…” sentence for your goal and put it somewhere you'll see it tomorrow: your phone lock screen, the fridge, or the first page of your diary.
Step 6: Plan for the obstacles
Something will get in the way. That isn't a sign the goal is wrong; it's just life. Psychologist Gabriele Oettingen's research on "mental contrasting" suggests that picturing both the outcome you want and the obstacles in your way helps people act more than positive thinking alone.
List the two or three things most likely to knock you off course, and write a response for each:
- Obstacle: "I'm too tired after work." Plan: "I'll run before work on Tuesdays and do a 10-minute version on tired days."
- Obstacle: "Friends suggest a night out." Plan: "I'll go, and set a spending limit before I leave."
The Overcome Obstacles Prime Protocol is a good daily companion for this step.
Step 7: Review every week
Pick a fixed 10-minute slot, such as Sunday evening. Ask yourself four questions:
- What did I do towards my goal this week?
- What got in the way?
- What will I do differently next week?
- What are my actions and times for the next seven days?
This is the feedback part that Locke and Latham found so important. Without a review, you don't notice drift until it's too late. With one, you can adjust small things before they become big ones.
A worked example
Here's how the seven steps look for one real-life goal:
- Goal: Feel more confident speaking in meetings.
- Why: I want my ideas to be heard and to feel ready for a promotion.
- Specific: Speak up at least once in every team meeting for the next 8 weeks.
- Milestones: Week 2: one comment per meeting. Week 5: share one idea I prepared. Week 8: lead one agenda item.
- Weekly action: "When I get the meeting agenda, I'll write down one point I can make."
- Obstacle plan: "If I freeze, I'll ask one question instead of making a point."
- Review: Friday lunchtime, tick off each meeting where I spoke.
PRIME AFFIRMATIONS · READ THEM ALOUD
I set clear goals and I follow through.
Every small step moves me closer to what I want.
I am becoming the person who achieves this.
For more lines like these to read each morning, see the Goal Setting Prime Affirmations.
Start today
You don't need a perfect plan. Take 20 minutes now: choose one goal, write your "why", make it specific, and write one "When… I will…" sentence. Put a 10-minute review in your calendar for this Sunday. That's enough to begin.
The 5-Minute Start Method (free toolkit)
A free printable toolkit to get started on anything in five minutes, even when you don't feel like it.
The 30-Day Consistency Prime Protocol Workbook
A daily page with Prime Affirmations, one small action and a tracker to help you show up every day for 30 days.
PRINTABLE BUNDLE
The 2027 Goals & Confidence Bundle
32 printable pages to plan 2027 and build confidence: Year at a Glance, Wheel of Life, SMART & WOOP planners, Vision Board, Confidence Audit and a 30-Day Confidence Challenge.
Get it for £12 → · See what's inside
Or get all three bundles in The Life Reset Mega Bundle and save over 25%.
Keep going with More-Self