You've probably been told to "just love yourself" or to stand in front of a mirror and say "I am amazing". If that left you feeling a bit silly, or even worse, you're not alone. When you don't believe something, repeating it louder doesn't make it true.
The good news is that you don't have to fake it. Healthy self-esteem can be built from honest ingredients: how you speak to yourself, whether you trust yourself, and how you let others treat you. Here's how to work on each one.
What self-esteem actually is
Self-esteem is your overall sense of your own worth. It's different from confidence, which is usually about specific skills ("I'm confident at presenting"). You can be confident at work and still have low self-esteem underneath.
Healthy self-esteem isn't thinking you're better than others. It's a steady baseline of "I'm a worthwhile person" that doesn't collapse every time something goes wrong.
Why faking it can backfire
In a 2009 study, psychologist Joanne Wood and colleagues found that repeating a positive self-statement ("I'm a lovable person") seemed to help people who already had higher self-esteem, but left people with low self-esteem feeling worse. One likely reason: when a statement is too far from what you believe, your mind argues back.
This doesn't mean affirmations are useless. It means they need to be believable.
1. Use bridge statements instead of big claims
A bridge statement sits between where you are and where you want to be. Instead of "I love myself", try:
- "I'm learning to treat myself with more respect."
- "I'm allowed to be a work in progress."
- "I'm willing to believe I have value."
If a statement makes you cringe, soften it until it feels about 60% true. Then read it daily.
2. Rate your actions, not yourself
Low self-esteem often turns one event into a global judgement: "I failed the test, so I'm stupid." Practise separating the two. "I didn't prepare well for that test" is specific and fixable. "I'm stupid" is vague and crushing, and it's rarely accurate.
Next time you catch a global label (stupid, useless, a failure, unlikeable), rewrite it as a specific action with a next step.
3. Audit your self-talk for one day
Carry a note on your phone. Each time you notice a harsh comment to yourself, jot it down word for word. At the end of the day, read the list and ask: would I let anyone speak to a friend like this? Most people find their inner voice is far meaner than they'd ever be to someone else. Awareness is the first step to changing it.
Try this today: the rewrite
Pick the harshest line from your self-talk audit. Rewrite it three ways: as a specific fact, as something a kind friend would say, and as one next step. Read the rewrites aloud.
4. Build self-trust by keeping small commitments
Self-esteem is closely tied to whether you trust yourself. Every time you say "I'll go to bed at 11" or "I'll start the course on Monday" and then don't, you quietly teach yourself that your word doesn't count.
So make commitments smaller and keep them. One page of reading. Ten minutes of tidying. A glass of water with lunch. Keeping small promises reliably does more for self-esteem than making big promises occasionally.
5. Get good at something
Researchers have long debated how much self-esteem drives success. A major review by Roy Baumeister and colleagues in 2003 suggested that simply boosting self-esteem doesn't reliably improve performance. But the reverse direction matters too: becoming competent at things you value gives self-esteem something solid to stand on.
Pick one skill you care about and put in regular, deliberate practice. You're not trying to feel good about yourself in the abstract; you're giving yourself real reasons to.
6. Set one small boundary
How you let others treat you sends a message to yourself. If you always say yes, never state a preference and absorb every unfair comment, you reinforce the idea that your needs don't matter.
Start small. "I can't do Saturday, but I could help on Sunday morning." "Actually, I'd prefer Italian." "Please don't speak to me like that." The Assertiveness Prime Protocol walks you through short daily practice for exactly this.
7. Treat your body like it belongs to someone you care about
Sleep, food, movement and rest aren't just health habits; they're also a message. When you look after yourself, you act as if you're worth looking after, and over time feelings often follow actions. This isn't about changing how you look. It's about how you treat yourself.
8. Notice what you've been ignoring
People with low self-esteem tend to remember criticism in detail and forget praise instantly. Start a "kept" folder in your email or notes app. When someone thanks you, compliments your work or says something kind, save it. On low days, open it and read what you usually dismiss.
PRIME AFFIRMATIONS · READ THEM ALOUD
I am learning to treat myself with respect.
My mistakes are events, not my identity.
I keep my word to myself, one small promise at a time.
Notice these are gentle on purpose. Choose the ones that feel true enough to say, and explore more Confident Prime Affirmations when you're ready for stronger ones. The Positive Self-Image Prime Protocol is a good next step for daily practice.
Start today
Choose one bridge statement, one small commitment and one tiny boundary for this week. Write them down. Self-esteem grows slowly, like fitness, but you'll usually notice a shift within a few weeks of consistent practice.
The 30-Day Consistency Prime Protocol Workbook
A daily page with Prime Affirmations, one small action and a tracker to help you show up every day for 30 days.
The 5-Minute Start Method (free toolkit)
A free printable toolkit to get started on anything in five minutes, even when you don't feel like it.
Persistent low self-esteem can be linked to depression, anxiety or past experiences that are worth talking through with support. If it's affecting your daily life, talk to your GP or a qualified professional. This article is general self-development, not medical advice.
PRINTABLE BUNDLE
The 2027 Goals & Confidence Bundle
32 printable pages to plan 2027 and build confidence: Year at a Glance, Wheel of Life, SMART & WOOP planners, Vision Board, Confidence Audit and a 30-Day Confidence Challenge.
Get it for £12 → · See what's inside
Or get all three bundles in The Life Reset Mega Bundle and save over 25%.
Keep going with More-Self